|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
Faith Esham (born August 6, 1948) is an American soprano and college professor of voice.
Life and career
Faith Lou Esham was born in Portsmouth, Ohio, and grew up in Vanceburg, Kentucky. She graduated in psychology from Columbia Union College in Maryland. She completed study for a master's degree in clinical psychology at Eastern Kentucky University before transferring to the Juilliard School where she received her master's degree in music in 1978. Her voice teacher at Juilliard was Beverley Peck Johnson.
Esham has sung many roles in opera houses in the United States and Europe. She debuted at the Metropolitan Opera as Marzelline in Fidelio; she returned there for the roles of Nedda in Pagliacci and of Mélisande in Pelléas et Mélisande. Additional roles are: Mimì with the Lyric Opera of Chicago, Pamina in Washington, D.C., Micaëla and Juliette in Cincinnati, the heroines in Les contes d'Hoffmann, Manon,[disambiguation needed] and Gilda in Pittsburgh, Manon, Cendrillon,[disambiguation needed] Marguerite, Leila, Baby Doe, Ännchen, Gilda, and Floyd's Susannah at New York City Opera. As Micaëla, she sang opposite Plácido Domingo and Julia Migenes in the 1984 film Carmen. She also sang Cherubino and Marzelline at La Scala. She sang Micaëla at the Vienna State Opera and the Opera de Caracas; Marzelline and Cendrillon at Paris' Théâtre du Châtelet, Musetta at Cologne Opera, Germany, and Mélisande in Geneva. She appeared as Susanna and Cherubino in The Marriage of Figaro at Glyndebourne.
- Pagliacci – Nedda (1981)
- Gianni Schicchi – Lauretta (1981)
- Live from Lincoln Center
- Walter W. Naumburg Award
- Concours international de chant de Paris
- Blau, Eleanor (August 22, 1987). "Faith Esham, Soprano, Communicates by Song". The New York Times
- Anthony Tommasini (January 22, 2001). "Beverley Peck Johnson, 96, Voice Teacher". The New York Times.
- "Opera News web site, multiple references". Opera News. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- Hamilton, David, ed. (November 1991). Metropolitan Opera Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Guide to the World of Opera (first ed.). Simon & Schuster. ISBN 067161732X.
- "Faith Esham", Rider University